FAQ: Child Care Eligibility List

How soon will funding be available for my family?

Completing the Eligibility Questionnaire places your family on the Child Care Eligibility List (CCEL). This does not mean you are guaranteed service. Being placed on the CCEL means that you are eligible for service once funding is available. There is no way to predict when funding may become available from the California Department of Social Services (CDSS).

It is important that you report any changes to your family size, income, telephone number, and address as soon as possible so that we are able to contact you when funding is available. You can report changes by submitting another Eligibility List Questionnaire (click here for Vietnamese version), or by calling your local CHS office.

How often should I call to check on my status?

CHS may occasionally contact you to request that you update your information. This helps us make sure we have the most current and accurate information for contacting you. However, if you keep your information updated, then you do not need to call and check if funding is available. You will be notified as soon as there is an opportunity for enrollment.

How is my family’s name placed on the list? Is there any way to be served faster?

The California Department of Social Services (CDSS) establishes how families are placed on the list, and how priority for enrollment is determined. Currently, families with a Child Protective Services (CPS) referral or an At-Risk Referral, receive first priority for enrollment when funding is available. All other families are pulled from the list in order based upon income and family size. It is possible to wait on the list for a year or more for funding to become available, depending upon the funding, the demand, and the level of need within the community.

What is the process for enrolling in the program?

Once funding becomes available, you will be contacted by phone and/or by mail. At that time, you will be required to provide documentation that supports your financial need and eligibility for child care services. CHS will review your documentation in order to determine whether you are currently eligible for enrollment. In order to be prepared for that process, be sure to keep proof of your income, personal records such as birth certificates, and any relevant information regarding a secondary parent such as court documents, utility bills, or child support.

Will I be able to use my current child care provider?

The type of child care provider that may be reimbursed will depend on which payment program has funding available at the time your name is pulled from the Child Care Eligibility List (CCEL), and also on whether your provider is interested and/or eligible to participate.

To take advantage of the first funding that becomes available, you might need to change child care providers. If you would rather not change providers, you can continue to wait on the CCEL for funding that allows you to use your existing provider; however, keep in mind that there is no guarantee of future funding.

Sign up for CHS updates
Areas of Interest


Children’s Home Society of California’s Privacy Policy and Terms of Service have changed. Click here to learn more.